Sleep is an important part for babies daily routine – a healthy sleep is the first requirement for a rapid mental and physical development. Babies take short naps that are also helpful for parents as they get some time off their duty.
As noted on the Caring for Kids website, developed by the Canadian Pediatric Society; newborns may sleep as much as 18 hours a day, for 3 to 4 hours at a time while infants aging between 4 to 12 months-old need 12-16 hours of sleep in a day.
In most of the cases, new-porn babies have short sleep cycles and they wake up about every 40 minutes for feeding, diaper change or just some attention. The time of staying awake in daytime increases as a baby grows up over time and starts developing a habit.
It is a gradual process and will take weeks or months of time. Babies show up daily signs like crying, yawning, rubbing eyes, etc. New-born baby parents need to understand patterns for these activities and make adjustments accordingly.
In simple words, it can be called sleep training a baby. You can read more about sleep training babies at US-based healthcare organization Atrium Health.
Making a baby sleep is a tough task and it is even harder if you are a first time mother. If you are looking for popular and useful baby sleep tips and topics, we have listed some important points that you need to consider for ensuring a healthy sleep for your newborn baby:
Babies have little tummies and that’s why they get hungry nearly every two hours. And it is natural for babies to fall asleep after feeding. Mothers should feed them up whenever they signal that they are hungry, rather than according to a set schedule. Feeding your baby on demand will keep them full of energy and also allows the mother’s body to regulate the proper amount of milk to the baby. Do have a look at the Healthline’s guide for help on baby feeding schedules.
Doctors, gynecologists and midwives often advise new moms to feed their newborns between 8 and 12 times per day but it can differ according to babies. Those mothers facing a hard time with breastfeeding can have a look at the helpful tips at Feelgood Health blog.
Some mothers also suggest that the baby should be kept awake during the feeding sessions. It will help his/her to have a full diet required for a healthy and longer sleep.
Rubbing eyes, crying, and fussiness can be signs of sleepiness in newborns. Parents need to understand these clues of sleepiness in babies and act accordingly to make the babies sleep faster.
Helping your child burp after he/she is fed is one of the most important parts of childcare. Burping expels the excess air babies have swallowed during feeding. After every feed, gently hold the baby against your chest with one hand and gently pat her back until she burps. Patting can help babies sleep better.
Every baby is different but comfort during sleep is a requirement for all. A baby bedding should be thin and firm as it will let babies sleep comfortably and also keep them safe. It should be organic so that it doesn’t irritate baby skin. Baby bedding sets that are covered on all sides and have side pillows are safer for sleep. Furthermore, the bedding should also be warm enough in winters and cooler during hotter months of a year.
The most important tip is placing the baby on the back for sleeping, which will create a safe sleeping environment. Some babies also like the swaddling method while others do not like it. See more of such important baby sleep tips at BabyCenter.
Help your baby to learn the difference between day and night. This can be done by taking the baby outside in fresh air and light during the day and making the sleep environment dark in the evening. Over time, it will develop healthy sleep patterns and the baby will be able to sleep on his/her own. This will be good practice for babies and also for parents.
Increase sleeping through the night and decrease the amount of naps during the day. It will encourage more feeding and play time.
Creating a quiet sleep environment will help babies sleep faster; however, there are some babies that feel relaxed with a constant noise such as humming, singing a lullaby, relaxing music or household noise. The humming of the washing machine dryer may help to ease a baby to sleep.
Massaging will help you create a profound bond with your baby. It helps in improving blood circulation and digestion, as well as in soothing the baby to sleep. Keep looking at the baby and talk to her while massaging her body. It is good to massage the baby before bath.
Diapering is an important aspect of childcare; however, parents are often confused about the timings of changing diapers. In daytime, you have to do it as soon as you find the baby is wet. In night time, you can let your baby sleep unless your baby is extremely wet or has pooped. According to the Nanit Blog, there is no need to wake a baby every time they wet their diaper a little. Nowadays, diapers are highly absorbent and your baby may be able to sleep through the night.
Changing a baby’s diaper at bedtime will help him get a full night’s sleep and thus it is a good idea to make it a part of the nightly routine for a baby. Furthermore, use the most absorbent diapers at night to ensure a deep sleep for your baby.
Some more baby sleep tips that will be helpful to make your baby fall asleep faster:
- It is a good idea to establish some form of bedtime routine for babies. It is like helping your baby to feel when it’s time for sleep. Gradually, a simple bedtime routine will develop strong sleeping patterns and encourage the baby to sleep. The routine will be helpful for both kids and parents. The routine can include taking the baby to seclusion, dimming the lights, taking a bath, etc. See more bedtime routine activities at TommeeTippee.
- Creating an environment that a baby associates with sleep will be helpful in making him/her sleep faster.
- A daytime routine can also help.
- Rock the baby in a pram, cot or arms for a short period which will help in settling him/her.
- A warm bath before sleep at night.
- Some mothers and pediatricians also suggest using pacifiers and comforting toys.
- Help from grandparents and friends is needful. The parents can take some rest while they take care of the baby.
- Skin to skin and direct eye contact helps your child feel the warmth and recognize your presence. These met methods can also relax a baby. Hugging your baby will have a positive impact.
- Don’t rock your baby to sleep in your lap. Try to put your baby down to sleep when they’re still awake. This will help them get themselves to sleep on their own.
- Decrease the amount of naps during the day to encourage more sleeping at night. This time can be utilized for feeding and playing.
- Feed the baby right before mom goes to bed. It helps the baby to sleep longer at night.
- See more baby sleep tips at The Military Wife and Mom.